Monday, July 18, 2011

Just a small town girl

    Where I hail from; Angola Indiana, is not the thriving metropolis some unscrupulous people would have you believe.  It is a nice, quiet, small farming town of about 8,000 people when the lakers are not invading out borders.  There, if you are so inclined, you can take part in the agriculture program called 4-H.  I was so inclined in my younger days and had the good fortune of making friends with a guy named Justin.  He graduated in 2002 and I had not seen or talked to him since.  Thanks to facebook and my extensive stalking skills I knew that Justin had been to Uganda so I messaged him with a request for info about my temporary home.  As it turns out, he was traveling here this summer too!  So after 9 years of separation from our roots in A-town Indiana we got to renew our friendship halfway around the world at an Ethiopian restaurant in Kampala.  Clearly not impossible, but highly improbable.

        It turns out that Justin has been doing some pretty incredible work since we last talked in my sophomore year of high school.  He is working hard to promote and improve literacy among refugees. He founded a non-profit called Refugees Read, which I think you should check out to see what he is up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment